When I was selected to take part in this week’s sponsored event, I put on my thinking cap to decide what to make. I knew I wanted my Springtime Sweet to have fruit...and showcase at least two kinds of our sponsor Dixie Crystals’ sugar products. Then, I remembered a dessert my Aunt Johnnie used to make for family gatherings years ago. It was a no-bake banana split layered dessert, and Michael used to ask me to make it all the time. I haven’t made it in several years, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to surprise him! The original dessert has raw eggs in the filling, so I tinkered around with a filling that had the same sweet taste without using raw eggs. I used a combination of butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar thinned to a spreading consistency with a bit of half and half. I also added some pecans to the crust base and subbed vanilla wafers for graham crackers. The last major change I made was to make homemade vanilla whipped cream instead of using non-dairy topping. I also chose to serve the desserts in individual clear trifle cups rather than a pan. If you love eating banana splits, you’ll "go bananas" for this sweet and fruity dessert!!
No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups
adapted from my Aunt Johnnie
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
• 2 bananas, sliced
• 1.5 cups fresh pineapple, finely diced
• 1.5 cups diced strawberries
• 1/2 cup chocolate sauce, for drizzling
• 1/2 cup chopped sundae topping nuts or pecans
• 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
For the base layer:
• 1.5 cups crushed vanilla wafers
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
• 1 tbs. Dixie Crystals Sugar
For the filling:
• 1/2 stick salted butter, softened
• 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 tbs. vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup half-and-half
• 2 cups Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar
For the whipped cream:
• 1/2 cup whipping cream
• 1 tbs. vanilla
• 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
Step 1: Combine the filling for the base layer. Divide it equally among four clear glass bowls or ramekins. Press down firmly. Add the filling ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on low speed until combined. Scrape down the sides, then beat on med-high speed until light and fluffy. Divide the filling evenly among the bowls/ramekins.
Step 2: Arrange the banana slices on top of the filling in each bowl/ramekin. Top with the pineapple and strawberries. Add the whipped cream and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Divide the whipped cream evenly among the four desserts. Use an offset spatula to evenly spread it over the fruit, to the edges of the bowl/ramekin.
Step 3: Drizzle the chocolate syrup on top of each dessert, then sprinkle evenly with the nuts and maraschino cherries. Place the bowls/ramekins in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving to let the filling set up.
Wow...this sweet treat is perfect for Spring! I think my Aunt Johnnie would definitely approve of my version of her Wofford family favorite. The homemade whipped cream is lightly sweet, with a burst of vanilla...and the filling is creamy and sweet. Add in the layers fresh fruit and the nutty cookie crust, and you’ve got a great little dessert. Serving it in individual dishes makes serving a snap too. I especially love how using the miniature trifle cups shows off the colorful layers. Give everyone a spoon...and let them dig in!!
I’ve grown up using Dixie Crystals (known as Imperial Sugar here in Texas). Their sugar gives all my sweet treats the perfect end result! They’re one of the Platinum Sponsors for this year’s Food & Wine Conference, and they’re having a Brownie Dessert Contest in conjunction with the conference. Between March 30th and June 27th, you can enter your original brownie creation featuring Dixie Crystals sugar. The Grand Prize Winner will win a ticket to the Food & Wine Conference in Orlando, recognition as the spotlight dessert of the conference...and a $500 gift certificate. Two Second and Third Place Prize Winners will receive a $300 and $200 gift card respectively.
What are you waiting for?!?!? Get in your kitchen and create a unique and original brownie recipe and submit it! While you’re at it, make sure to connect Dixie Crystals via their social media avenues:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DixieCrystalsSugar
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/dixiecrystals/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/dixie_crystals
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dixiecrystals
I hope you have a sweet tooth, because today's #SundaySupper participants are sharing some fabulous Springtime Sweets featuring Dixie Crystals sugar products:Be sure to join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter this evening! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET/6:00 pm CST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Also be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma's Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own.