Thanksgiving is tomorrow...if you're still scrambling to round out your menu, I've got a few of my favorite no-stress Thanksgiving dishes to share with you. All they take are a few simple ingredients and a few minutes in the kitchen, and you're ready to go! Speaking of go...we're heading out of town after work tomorrow to be with our families in the Houston area for the long holiday weekend. Time spent with family enjoying good food, lots of laughs...and some football sprinkled in for good measure...are what Thanksgiving is all about!!! Now, about those no-stress side dishes...
(1) Creamy Cranberry and Chicken Puff Pastry Bites. These easy-to-make appetizers are the perfect starter for your guests to munch on before the big meal! I always keep a package of frozen puff pastry in my freezer for whipping up elegant, no-stress appetizers. These feature cranberry sauce and roasted chicken breast. They're downright addictive and very festive!
(2) Butternut Squash Puree. This savory-sweet side dish from Perry's Steakhouse is flavored with bacon and maple syrup, both of which work perfectly with butternut squash. To save time, do what I do: pick up a package of peeled and diced butternut squash at the grocery store. The flavor is similar to sweet potatoes, but a bit more elegant.
(3) Slow Cooker Cheesy Chive Spoonbread. This dish is perfect for taking to Thanksgiving potlucks...or if your oven space is already allotted to other dishes! If you've never head spoonbread, it's a Southern dish that's a cross between cornbread and a pudding. My version contains corn kernels and creamed corn, and it's flavored with green onions and melted cheese. This economical, easy-to-make dish is a keeper, folks!
(4) Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans. This elegant risotto features familiar Thanksgiving flavors...and an elegant presentation. This dish is savory sweet, with a smoky background flavor from the bacon. The goat cheese provides a creamy tanginess, while the pecans add an earthy crunch. I absolutely love this dish, and I'm betting your guests will love it too!
(5) Bonus Dessert Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Maple-Pecan Glaze. This dessert has Thanksgiving written all over it! I am not much of a pie eater, so this moist and flavorful bundt cake lets me enjoy pumpkin without the pie. This cake features a maple syrup-infused glaze and lots of toasted pecans. A slice of this bundt is perfect with a cup of coffee flavored with pumpkin spice coffee creamer...and a great ending to your Thanksgiving meal!!
There you have it: my favorite Thanksgiving dishes. I hope that you get a chance to try one -- or more -- at your feast tomorrow! Be sure to come back here on Friday to get one of my family's favorite post-Thanksgiving meals...it's the perfect hot-sandwich solution to the mountain of leftover turkey that's likely to be in your fridge. Whether you're hosting an intimate Thanksgiving gathering...or you're attending a big extended family-style feast...I hope that your Thanksgiving is blessed beyond measure. This year has had its rough patches, but I have so many things to be thankful for: a loving husband and family, great friends, two very spoiled cats, and my health. Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you!!!!