These delicious bite-size granola treats come together in about 30 minutes. Simply whip up a batch on Sunday afternoon, and you're ready to face the school (or work) week! They're perfect for an afternoon snack, as a brown bag lunch addition -- or even an on-the-go breakfast on those crazy mornings you're rushing out the door to keep from being late! I especially like that I can control what ingredients go into them. I used dried cranberries here, but feel free to use whatever dried fruit you have on hand to customize them to your personal tastes.
Fruit 'n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites
adapted from Martha Stewart
Ingredients (makes apptox. 16 granola bites):
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbs. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries [can use raisins or other dried fruit if you prefer]
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
Step 1: Add the butter, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla to a large non-stick saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter is melted and the ingredients are completely combined.
Step 2: Add the cocoa powder and cinnamon and whisk into the peanut butter-honey mixture. Turn off heat and add the dried cranberries, oats, and rice cereal. Stir with a sturdy spatula until completely combined and the oats and cereal are evenly coated.
Step 3: Use a cookie scoop to form the mixture into uniform balls -- make sure to really pack the mixture into the cookie scoop with your hand to ensure the granola bites hold their shape. While the granola bites firm up a bit, melt the milk chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave.
Step 4: Carefully place the granola bites into mini muffin liners and drizzle with the melted chocolate. Place the granola bites in the fridge for about 15 minutes to let the chocolate harden before serving. Store in an airtight container to keep them fresh -- if you have any left once people taste them!
If you're a peanut butter and chocolate lover, you'll love these crunchy-chewy treats! The combination of chocolate peanut butter, earthy oats, and crispy rice cereal is comforting and fun...and the dried cranberries provide a nice tart burst of flavor. The honey lends them a subtle sweetness, and a bit of chew. Because they're no-bake, your little chefs can even help you make them -- kids especially love eating food that they've helped make. These granola bites are a winner, for sure!
Be sure to check out all of the great back-to-school recipes that the rest of this week's #SundaySupper participants are sharing -- you're sure to find something to help make the back-to-school transition a little less stressful for you!
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline's Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing with the Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit 'n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Quinoa, Oat and Pecan Blueberry-Peach Crumb Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- "Nut Butter" Rice Crispy Balls by Books n' Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake