Bright and sunny citrus flavors are some of my very favorite. There's something very special about tangy lemon, lime, and orange that makes food come alive! For this week's theme, #SundaySupper is featuring Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile, and our hostess is my sweet friend Lisa from Jersey Girl Cooks. We're sharing recipes that feature the tangy zing of citrus -- which is perfect for warmer Spring temperatures! I had some gorgeous scallops in my freezer, so I used that as my starting point.
For this week's theme, I was inspired by a recipe in Cooking Light. My Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa feature lemon, lime, and orange juices. The scallops are seared, then coated in a sweetly tart citrus glaze. They're served over cilantro-lime rice, and a quick homemade avocado salsa is spooned on top. It's a symphony of citrus flavors. Even better, this flavorful and healthy dish is ready to eat in about 45 minutes!
Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa
adapted from Cooking Light
Ingredients (two servings):
- Six large scallops (approximately 12 ounces)
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt & pepper
- Juice of one large lime
- Juice of one large lemon
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbs. agave nectar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs. butter
For the salsa:
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1/4 cup seeded, chopped cucumber
- 1/2 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro -- or 1 tbs. fresh cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
To serve on the side: 2 cups cooked jasmine rice with 1 tbs. lime juice, 1 tsp. finely chopped cilantro, and 1/2 tsp. salt stirred in
Step 1: Make the salsa by adding the tomatoes, purple onion, cucumber, avocado, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, and salt & pepper to a small mixing bowl. Stir well to combine and set aside in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the dish.
Step 2: Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over med-high heat. While the skillet heats up, season the scallops with the cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper. Sear the scallops seasoned side down for 3 minutes. While the scallops sear, sprinkle the top side with more cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper. Flip the scallops over and sear on the other side for 3 minutes. Remove the scallops from the pan to plate. Clean the skillet and return it to the stove.
Step 3: Add the lime juice, lemon juice, and orange juice to the skillet and give it a stir. Reduce heat to Medium. Add the garlic and agave nectar, and stir to combine. Cook until the mixture begins to reduce and thicken -- approximately 5 minutes. Add the reserved scallops back to the pan, along with the butter. Stir until the butter melts and is incorporated into the sauce. Spoon the sauce over the scallops until they are glazed.
Step 4: To serve, spoon half of the cilantro-lime rice onto two plates. Top the rice with three glazed scallops and drizzle a bit of the remaining glaze on top of the scallops. Spoon half of the chilled avocado salsa around the scallops and serve.
Wow...this dish packs a nice citrus punch, because every component is flavored with tart citrus juice! The combination of the sweet scallops, lightly sweetened citrus glaze, and lightly spiced chilled avocado salsa is a real winner. The cilantro-lime rice really pulls the entire dish together. Add it all up, and you have a winner of a dish that's easy enough to whip up for an at-home date night...and fancy enough to serve at your next dinner party. If you don't have scallops on hand, shrimp would also work quite nicely here also.
If you love citrus as much as I do, you'll definitely want to check out the recipes that the #SundaySupper Tastemakers are sharing this week. We've got everything from appetizers to baked goods...and entrees to beverages. Simply click the links below to get the recipes!
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline's Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket's Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together